Sunday, June 22, 2014

Flashback- how I sold an overclocked Celeron 400 as a Celeron 500 to a stupid Gook!



When I was in Melbourne, Australia from 1998-2004 I did some crazy shit sometimes :)
Once I remember I needed money urgently (which was like every other day. lol).
Anyway I wanted to sell of my gaming machine. Think this was back in 1999 or 2000.

My PC had a Celeron 400 processor, which was the top mainstream workhorse at the time.

Here's a link to the exact specs of that machine- http://mwalatara.tripod.com/newcomp.html

Anyways so I sometimes had the machine overclocked to 500 within the BIOS. Because I did not have aftermarket cooling for the processor, this turned out to be too much an OC. During gaming, sometimes even on the desktop it would just freeze.

So to fix that I would open the case and point a small table fan direct at the CPU area. This provided enough cooling and stopped the freezing.

Time came when I had to sell it, I figured sell it to some stupid international student from the nearby Monash University. I printed out a really nice ad flyer for the PC and posted it at the Uni student noticeboards. And voila the call came poring in!

Those days Windows did not identify the true CPU code within the OS. It only repeated the Mhz that was recorded in the BIOS. So a Celeron 400 that was overclocked to 500 would be read and displayed as a Celeron 500 CPU by the operating system :)

So when I guy from Vietnam dropped by and I showed it to him, he naturally did not suspect anything. So I managed to get a slight premium for my PC that I otherwise would not have got if it was running 400 Mhz. :P

Sad thing was the machine would've been freezing up routinely, without the extra cooling provided by my table fan. Since the stupid gook did not know that it was OCed and freezing cos of that and lack of extra cooling, I am sure the PC would've got permanently damaged and packed up within a very short period of time.

Still feel sorry for the stupid gook.
But hey, some people are born to lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment